Each person had NZ$6 to spend, and we walked around the market, which is surprisingly extensive, before buying anything.
Interesting things we saw included:
- cured and smoked meats
- warmer ovens with meat patties and pies
- beautiful cookies and baked goods
- macaroons (or, as Evelyn pronounced it, “mack-a-rons”)
- mushrooms and truffle butter
- gourmet soups
- rock salt
Here’s what we ended up purchasing:
- a 4 jar sample set of local New Zealand honeys, including rata honey, an exotic flower that only blooms every 2 years (see here for more about the growing New Zealand honey trade)
- assorted fudges (mint, hot chocolate, russian, etc.)
- a rainbow lollipop (Cal)
- a croissant (Ev)
We probably would have bought produce except that I had just stocked up yesterday and most of the offerings at the market were winter veggies and apples. Remember that it’s mid-winter here!